12 December 2011

Minnesota State Bird...the goldfinch?

Some years ago my husband drove what is called The Heartland Express bus. He drove it for about 10 years and transported one young lady who had Down Syndrome. She lived with her grandmother who appreciated the special treatment Bob gave her granddaughter. To show her appreciation she gave Bob a quilt she had made. The quilt is all white and is embroidered with state birds of all of the states, as far as I can figure. Anyway, I put the quilt away in a drawer thinking I would use it someday when the kids were grown and not likely to soil a white quilt. When we moved into our new home recently I came across the quilt tucked in a drawer probably 10 years ago! Finally, I could spread that quilt on our bed in all of it's glory and enjoy it without fear of tiny grubby hands (and feet)!

Anyone who has done embroidery will appreciate the work that went into this quilt. While looking over Ellie's work I came across the Minnesota State bird. Ellie had stitched a pretty little goldfinch and behind it, the state flower of Minnesota, the Lady Slipper. But wait! The state bird of Minnesota is the Common Loon! What? Well, upon doing a little research I find that back in 1932 there was a vote taken to determine which bird would represent our state. The goldfinch won the vote! But apparently it wasn't official and in 1961 the Loon was officially chosen as the state bird. It sure makes me wonder. How long ago did Ellie MAKE this quilt? Wow! Sometime between 1932 and 1961 apparently! What an interesting treasure we've inherited.


I'm feeling very blessed to have been entrusted with this beautiful piece of needlework. I believe Ellie passed away years ago, but I'll be thanking her when we meet in Heaven! :D

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Lisa! The goldfinch is the state bird of Washington! I think of my home state when the goldfinches visit the cosmos in my garden!
    Wow! The quilt is FANTASTIC, isn't it? Are you getting all cozy in your new home? I bet you are! Pretend that I knock on your door with a plate of cookies and an armload of picture books. We'll drink tea and look at lovely illustrations. Sound fun? It does to me! (BIG HUG!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "virtual visit"! Tea and picture book illustrations sounds like a wonderful idea! :D

    ReplyDelete