26 February 2012

Way of the Ascetics...

Many of my bloggy friends are joining together to Pause for Lent. One mentioned a book called "Way of the Ascetics" by Tito Colliander. I thought it sounded interesting, although I don't think of myself as part of the Orthodox community. I found a PDF file version of it online. Reading through the second chapter I found this quote which I really liked:

"No, be convinced that nothing good can come from yourself. And should, by chance, an unselfish thought arise
in you, you may be sure that it does not come from you, but is scooped up from the wellspring of goodness
and bestowed upon you: it is a gift from the Giver of life. Similarly the power to put the good thought into
practice is not your own, but is given you by the Holy Trinity."

I may not agree with everything in this book, but it should be interesting reading and should give me some food for thought. :)

Way of the Ascetics pdf file

4 comments:

  1. It provides interesting thinking and assessing along life's journey. I'm glad you find it interesting. We've gone to nondenominational churches the most, too. Now we are attending a Lutheran church (I was brought up Lutheran) and we're taking it all in with different hearts and minds than before. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was raised in a tiny little Lutheran church and went there until about age 33. We are sort of looking around for a new church and I'm more open to something more "formal". We shall see. But, yes, this is very interesting reading! Thanks for making me aware of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Way of the Ascetics as being brutal on the pride and pride of life. It's surely a good one for a lenten read.

    ReplyDelete