09 February 2009

Personality Tests-What Do They Really Reveal?

At the bottom of this blog page you'll find the results of a personality test I took a few days ago. It was a lot of fun. I'm always curious to find out how I'll do and just what a particular test may reveal about myself. But just how accurate are they? If you're expecting me to quote from various studies and give a really scientific answer to this question you'll be disappointed. I'm not a really objective, scientific type. This is more of an emotional response...

While attempting to take a nap today, I found my mind whirring away as it usually does when I try to take a nap. I found myself wondering how these tests could really be accurate. "Well," you may say, "they're designed by scientists who understand how our minds work." Yes, I suppose some of them are. (I always leave room for doubt, just in case.) My main source of skepticism is this...

Have you ever read "Wild at Heart" or just about any other book by John Eldredge? He talks a lot about our "wound". This wound, he says, is usually given by our father. I think most of us would have to admit, even if our dad didn't give it, we received it somewhere in our childhood. Something happens to almost all of us that "damages" us in some way. This wound can be large or small and usually there will be many over our lifetime. These wounds change who we are, or at least how we view who we are. They may make us feel ugly, unloveable, clumsy or in some way undesirable. Even with the best of parents and childhoods something will sneak in to try to steal something of our sense of worth. In this fallen world the enemy of our souls is on the prowl and loves nothing better than to "steal, kill and destroy" that which God has created.

So, as I work my way through a personality test I'm constantly perplexed. How do I really feel about these two possible answers? I hyperanalyze every question. Neither answer seems quite right; or maybe BOTH seem right. But I'm not given that option. I have to pick ONE. This drives me up the wall. Truth and integrity are huge with me. To answer a question without really thinking it through is unthinkable. And yet they tell you there is no right answer; just the way you feel about the answers! Where's the truth and integrity in that? *sigh* I battle onward in the quest to better know myself, but I fear "the wound" gets in my way.

How can we pigeonhole our real, original personality when parts of it have been blown away by the katyusha rockets of this world? How closely does what is left really resemble what God intended when he sent us into this world?

The results, actually, describe me quite well, at this point in time. I guess no test can show what we would have been had we come through life thus far unscathed, because nobody has. Only Jesus, the Lover of our souls, can walk with us day-by-day as we work through the healing process. When we are born again our spirit is re-created and washed white as snow. Our soul, on the other hand, must be worked on daily with the help of the Holy Spirit. This is a lifelong journey as we learn to surrender our wounds and everything else to Jesus. As we become more like Him.

========================================
A description of my personality type: (Wow! I'm rare!)

"INFJs, making up an estimated 1% of all people, are the most rare type (males even more so). They are introspective, caring, sensitive, gentle and complex people that strive for peace and derive satisfaction from helping others. INFJs are highly intuitive, empathetic and dedicated listeners. These traits tend to act as a "tell me what's wrong" sign on their forehead, hence the nicknames Confidant, Counselor or Empath. INFJs are intensely private and deeply committed to their beliefs."

" Artistic and creative, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities.
(Oh, yeah!) Only one percent of the population has an INFJ Personality Type, making it the most rare of all the types."

No comments:

Post a Comment