29 June 2009

Blaming God...

"God said, 'Here, take a little of this diabetes and see how you like it.'" These words, or something similar, were spoken by a friend of mine, speaking of her child who had diabetes. This is a "church lady" who's presumably had some sort of relationship with God most of her life. She spoke it with a slightly bitter chuckle as though it's just one of those things God does to us and we just have to bear it. Wow. Satan's done a great job on us, hasn't he? He's destroyed our trust in God; the only One we really can trust.

I'm no theologian and you may think my opinions naive or oversimplified, but it seems to me that we're sometimes a little too quick to believe that God is just "up there" playing games with us to see how we'll react.

Tell me. Did you ever see Jesus put a disease on anyone? I don't see that in the gospels. Actually, I see Him healing everyone who came to Him. So maybe these things come from another source, such as an angry ex-archangel who seeks to kill, steal and destroy those who love God. (John 10:9-10) As Jesus says: "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full." 1 Peter 5:8-9 says: "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."

We're under attack from an angry enemy who hates us simply because we belong to God. He's managed, over time, to cause us to believe that this is just life. Disease and pain are to be expected. It seems almost mundane. But Jesus told us not to put up with it. Jesus layed hands on people and they were healed, delivered from demons and resurrected from the dead. Satan has convinced us that it would be unsophisticated for us to do the same. But it's what Jesus commanded us to do. He said we would do even greater things than He did.

I'm not saying I've arrived in this area. I'm kind of a coward when it comes to laying on hands (except in a church service where it's "acceptable" and "comfortable"). But that's my fault, not God's. I need to trust Him enough to take Him at His Word. We need to remember to ask for the boldness to do this and it only comes from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It's not something we "work up" on our own.

My husband and kids have been diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder which can make them clot too much or not enough; my daughter was diagnosed with diabetes; my grand-daughter has a clot in her head as I type this; my husband spent 7 years on crutches because of a destroyed knee and had a run-in with prostate cancer in addition to some heart problems years ago. The enemy has attacked us just like everyone else, but I refuse to blame God. He's given us a way of escape, if we will just believe and trust in Him. He sent Jesus to put his foot on Satan's neck and destroy his miserable works. He provided healing and deliverance and was resurrected from the dead so we could be also. My husband was healed after seven years on crutches because a group of folks weren't afraid to pray for him and believe. He was also healed of prostate cancer and I believe my daughter is healed of diabetes. We continue to pray for our kids and believe that they are in the palm of God's hand and will carry out His will for their lives.

It takes some effort to study the scriptures, especially the gospels, to get a good picture of what Jesus did and what He told us to do in response to the attacks of the enemy. I know I'm always looking for a shortcut to really studying the Word. I don't think there is one. To even begin to understand why bad things are happening to us and those we love, we need to spend large amounts of time in prayer and study. If we aren't willing to do that then we will go through life wondering how God could be so unfair, or why He would allow certain things to happen to His children. (And yes, these things happen even to those who don't love God. But, God gave us, as his children, power to do something about it. In the process maybe those who don't know Him will sit up and take notice and decide to switch their allegiance. Healing is a powerful testimony that God is really here.)

God is 100 percent faithful, true and just. We have to learn to trust in Him "no matter what". If our Bible study is lagging behind the circumstances so that we find ourselves bewildered by what's going on around us then we have to hold on to the knowlege that He IS the epitome of Faithfulness, Truth and Justice and He's on our side. Then we have to get into the Word and really get to know Him.

God has given us power over the attacks of the enemy. If we aren't using that power then how can we blame Him?

P.S. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a future."
~ Jeremiah 29:11 (Hmmm...sounds like God is on OUR side.) =0)

No comments:

Post a Comment