03 August 2009

Harvesting again...

Got home from work about 4:00 and after a bite to eat I helped my husband catch one of our young goats. He is giving it to a 4-H gal who has been dreaming (literally, she had a dream) of getting a goat and her parents finally said it was okay. We're cutting back on our goats, so we're glad she'll have a good home! I'm the hoof trimmer for the goats, so I gave her a quick pedicure. Then we put her in the back of the pickup, locked the topper and off she went.

After that, I grubbed around in the garden, pulling a lot of weeds. I fed a large armful to the goats, but most just got dumped over the pasture fence.

My garden doesn't have a lot of variety, but I'm getting a lot out of it for the little effort I'm putting in. With all the cool weather the lettuce is still producing like crazy. I've also gotten lots of turnips and spinach and picked some peas today, as well. Of course, there is more zucchini, but I think it's finally slowing down!

Well, I'm off to do some dishes and wash up my produce. I'll give the lettuce a soaking to plump it up and probably cook the spinach and turnips. On Wednesday maybe I'll make more zucchini bread. Some of it will go to son Jordan. Gotta fatten him up a little!

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. I love going out to check my garden each morning. So far I have three pumpkins. Do you think I'll get more? The zucchini are gearing up due to my slow start. You have such a sweet variety! Goats sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted winter squash, but the plants are still so small, I don't think they'll make squash. How big are your pumpkins? It's getting pretty late in the season. Hope you get some nice ones!

    I mostly just planted things to eat fresh or freeze. I don't have a lot of time for canning these days.

    Keep enjoying that garden!

    ReplyDelete