02 August 2009

Nature walk...

I haven't been walking for a few days. Okay, closer to a week. I've been trying to get over a cold and I've finally outrun it!

Today I went for a brisk two-mile walk down the Heartland Trail, which runs adjacent to our land. I walked down the horse trail for a mile. It's lush, green, hilly, bumpy and lined with woods. In short, it makes for a pretty walk.

I kept a running tab of the plants and animals I encountered, just to see how many I could name by sight.

I did the return mile on the asphalt bike trail that runs parallel to the horse trail. Then I walked a short distance back on the horse trail to pick a small bouquet of flowers which I hope to use for drawing practice. Don't tell the Dept. of Natural Resources!



Flora and fauna I saw:
goldenrod
black-eyed susan
bee balm (purple)
wild mint
yarrow
poison ivy
sumac
harebells
columbine
red and white clover
plantain
raspberries
white pine
oak
maple
poplar
spruce
norway pine
daisies
jackpine
vetch
chickweed
wild rose
hoary allysum
mushrooms
catpaws (?)
2 white-tail deer

And a partridge in a pear treeeeee....

No comments:

Post a Comment